Content is king. Every marketing guru and wannabe repeats this mantra, and it’s true – kinda. We’re well into the content marketing trend, and it’s proven to be a marketing strategy that every brand needs. Getting started with content marketing is a must if you stand a chance at gaining traction over your competition.
But hiring a copy writer, a designer, and creating a few blog posts is not going to cut it. It’s not going to create results.
The problem is we have a content overload. Back in 2018 and 2019, it was easy to earn attention from prospects with helpful content. Now, attention is spread thin.
Thankfully, the solution is simple: fine-tune your content for your community.
That implies two things:
- Your content will be better quality than your competition.
- You are actively creating a community of brand fans.
Before looking at our suggested action steps, let’s start with a definition of content marketing and how it can help your business.
Is Your Marketing Plan Working?
Use our Free Marketing Analysis Tool to discover what tools and strategies will work for your business.
What is Content Marketing?
Content marketing is a strategic marketing approach that involves creating and distributing valuable, relevant, and consistent content to attract and retain a clearly defined audience.
The goal of content marketing is to build trust and establish a relationship with the audience by providing information that is helpful, informative, and engaging.
This can be achieved through various forms of content such as blog posts, videos, social media posts, webinars, podcasts, and more (Learn More About Top Marketing Tactics This Year). The ultimate objective of content marketing is to drive profitable customer action, such as increased sales, engagement, and loyalty.
Let’s look at the basics of getting started with content marketing.
Getting Started with Content Marketing
Here are the six simple steps your marketing team needs to master:
- Defining your audience
- Setting content goals
- Creating a content strategy
- Creating quality content
- Promoting your content
- Measuring results and making optimizations
Define your audience: Understand who your target audience is and what type of content they want and need. This will help you create content that is relevant and engaging to them.
Set your goals: Determine what you want to achieve with your content marketing efforts. This could be increasing brand awareness, generating leads, or driving sales.
Create a content strategy: Develop a plan for the type of content you will create, the channels you will use to distribute it, and the frequency of your content.
Create high-quality content: Focus on creating content that is informative, valuable, and engaging for your audience. This could include blog posts, videos, infographics, and social media posts.
Promote your content: Use social media, email marketing, and other channels to promote your content and reach a wider audience.
Measure your results: Track your content marketing efforts and measure your results to see what’s working and what’s not. Use this information to refine your content strategy and improve your results over time.
Remember, content marketing is a long-term strategy that requires consistent effort and focus. By following these steps, you can create a content marketing plan that helps you achieve your goals.
Content Marketing Within Your Overall Plan
Content marketing is an essential component of an overall marketing plan, as it can help achieve various marketing objectives.
Here are some ways in which content marketing fits within an overall marketing plan:
- Attracting and retaining customers: Through content marketing, businesses can attract and retain customers by providing them with valuable and relevant information that addresses their needs and interests. This helps build trust and loyalty, which can lead to increased sales and customer retention.
- Building brand awareness: By creating and distributing content across various channels, businesses can increase their brand visibility and awareness. This can help establish the brand as an authority in the industry and attract new customers.
- Driving website traffic: Quality content can drive traffic to a business’s website, as it can be optimized for search engines and shared on social media platforms. One particular strategy to use is Hub-Spoke content. This can increase the chances of converting website visitors into customers. Read more on how an email funnel converts prospects into customers.
- Supporting other marketing efforts: Content marketing can support other marketing efforts, such as advertising and public relations, by providing a way to engage with customers and prospects and provide them with additional information beyond what may be included in other marketing materials.
Overall, content marketing can help businesses achieve their marketing goals by providing a way to connect with customers and prospects through valuable and relevant content. It should be integrated into an overall marketing plan.