A logo is important because it represents the identity and values of a company. It helps customers recognize and remember the brand, and it influences their perception and loyalty. A good company logo should be simple, memorable, relevant, versatile, and timeless. It should communicate the essence and personality of the business, and appeal to the target audience.
Logo Use Cases
Your brand guide should specify the cases for your logo. It should also show samples of how not to use your logo.
Being strategic about logo usage upfront strengthens your brand identity. Above is an example of correct logo usage, and below is an example of incorrect logo usage. Both examples are defined in the company’s brand guide.
The logo dimensions for your website and social media platforms are important to consider when designing your brand identity. Here are some general guidelines to follow:
- For your website, the logo should be at least 250 pixels wide and 100 pixels high. This will ensure that it is clear and visible on most devices and browsers. Learn more about images and logos on websites.
- Vertical layout: 160 x 160 px
- Horizontal layout:
- 250 x 150 px
- 350 x 75 px
- 400 x 100 px
- For social media platforms, the logo dimensions may vary depending on the platform and the placement of the logo.
- Facebook: square logo of 180 x 180 pixels for profile pictures and a rectangular logo of 820 x 312 pixels for cover photos.
- Twitter recommends a square logo of 400 x 400 pixels for profile pictures and a rectangular logo of 1500 x 500 pixels for header images.
- Always use high-quality images and avoid stretching or compressing your logo to fit different dimensions. You can use online tools or software to resize your logo without losing quality.
- You should also keep your logo consistent across all platforms and use the same colors, fonts, and style. This will help you build brand recognition and trust among your audience.
- When designing a typographic logo, consider the limitations of using thin-lined fonts. They can be hard to read and often illegible in smaller sizes.
A submark logo is a simplified or compact version of your primary logo that can be used on a smaller scale or as a secondary mark. It is not a second logo, but an extension of your primary logo. It can be used as a watermark, a social media profile image, or on products, stickers, or email signatures.